The Birmingham Mint - UK
Mints Index by Country|
The Birmingham Mint was established in 1794 by Ralph Heaton. In 1850 it acquired much of the equipment of The Soho Mint, part of the industrial empire built up by Matthew Boulton in association with James Watt. In 1889 the company changed its name from Ralph Heaton & Son to The Birmingham Mint Limited. In 1991 IMI acquired control of Birmingham Mint. IMI was previously part of ICI known as Imperial Metal Industries, and incorporated Kynoch Mint previously known as The King's Norton Metal Company. For a number of years there was a consortium consisting of the Royal Mint, Birmingham Mint, and King's Norton Metal company to bid for various minting contracts.
Since 1998 there have been a number of changes of ownership.
The Birmingham Mint claims to be the world's largest independent mint.
|This page is part of the "Mints of the World" website, created to provide a list of world mints together with brief contact and other general information about them for coin collectors, dealers, numismatists.|